Biscuits and Gravy have always had my heart.
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinnertime, I’ll eat a plate of fluffy biscuits smothered in gravy any time of the day. I have never met a person who didn’t have a fondness for biscuits and gravy—we all love it—and everyone has their favorite version of it. Whether it’s your grandma’s classic recipe, your mom’s Sunday morning biscuits, or your own creation, there are countless ways you can spruce up your traditional biscuits-and-gravy… but MY favorite recipe are these Buttery, Fluffy Biscuits with Thyme & Sage Sausage Gravy.
Every biscuit-and-gravy connoisseur knows that a making a top-notch plate of biscuits and gravy really starts with the biscuit. I like mine fluffy and springy, rich and buttery, and soft on the inside with an ever so slightly crisp bottom.
I’ve made this recipe for as long as I can remember and every time I make it for company, they rave about it for days. After having the opportunity to ditch my parchment paper and test out COOKINA’s Reusable Baking Sheets, I couldn’t wait to use them for these biscuits and they made a big difference in creating that delicious, buttery ‘ever so slightly crisp’ bottom that I love.
It’s no secret that I like to bake—a lot—so I’ve already had plenty of uses for these reusuable baking sheets from cookies to scones to mini pizzas… it’s been endless for me!
They are 100% non-stick so you don’t have to worry about burned bottoms or having to use extra elbow grease to scrape a crusty pastry off of your sheet pan… and you can ditch the cooking spray! Since they are reusable and dishwasher safe, you’ll save money on aluminum foil, parchment and wax paper. The baking sheets are super easy to clean (you really only have to wipe them off with a gentle soap) and can be cut to size to fit whatever sheet pan you have. They also don’t retain any odors or flavors from previous cooked foods so you don’t have to have a special pan designated only for the stinky stuff (like fish).
You can also use COOKINA products to keep the bottom of your oven clean! Genius, right? Find COOKINA products online at several retailers including Amazon, Home Depot and Ace Hardware and learn more about their products at cookina.co.
Back to these biscuits and gravy…
Now that you’ve got a fluffy, buttery biscuit, the Thyme & Sage Sausage Gravy is so rich and creamy that it makes a super filling meal—it’s plenty savory for a dinner and flavorful enough to be company-worthy. The addition of rough-chopped parsley just before serving adds to the herbaceousness and makes it feel a little more special than your traditional diner-style biscuits and gravy.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, slightly softened and cut into cubes
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp butter
- 8 ounces fresh sage pork sausage
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1 tsp ground sage
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 Tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 425F. Line a cookie sheet with a nonstick baking sheet liner.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar together.
- With a pastry cutter/dough blender, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- Gradually, stir in the milk until the dough pulls away from the side of the bowl. If you have leftover milk, don't worry... you just need enough to form a dough that you can manipulate.
- On a floured surface, knead the dough 15 times. Pat it out until about 1 1/2 inches thick and cut into biscuits with a biscuit cutter or drinking glass rimmed with flour. Repeat until all of the dough has been cut into biscuits.
- Place biscuits onto cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are just beginning to turn golden brown and biscuits sound hollow when tapped.
- Serve hot with gravy!
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter.
- Add the sausage to the skillet, break up with a spoon and cook until browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the sausage, add the ground thyme and ground sage and season with salt and pepper and stir for about 1 minute.
- Then, stir in the chicken broth and the heavy cream and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook the gravy, stirring frequently until thickened to your liking (about 5 minutes).
- Add in the chopped parsley and taste for seasoning.
- If the gravy is too thick, thin it out with a little chicken broth or heavy cream until it's your desired consistency.
*Disclaimer: Her Plate received complimentary review samples to facilitate this post. However, we loved Cookina and only share what products we love! View our disclosure policy for more details.